Hi there,

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021, Rob Morin wrote:

WHat I was thinking was simply moving/renaming the current backup
set and making the dir immutable to prevent ransomware from getting
to it.

I suspect that your idea won't work.  How do you propose to make the
directory immutable?  If it's by means of some utility like 'chattr'
then what's to stop the ransomware from using the same techniques to
remove the immutable flag?

The best way to avoid malicious access to the backup is to have it on
a separate machine which can't be accessed from the network.  It can
use firewall techniques to drop all attempts to connect *from* remote
machines, yet still be able to connect *to* the same remote machines
to run the backups.  Of course this assumes that you trust the network
stacks, the implementation of the firewall etc., but those things are
usually fairly trustworthy - and of course since you're paranoid they
are all kept up to date with security patches.

If you're really paranoid (not unreasonable in many situations), then
switch the backup machine off while it isn't doing backups.  I'm a big
fan of having more than one backup; a second backup could be another
BackupPC machine, but I'm also a fan of using more than one method of
backing up; if it's something you do only every few months, you could
use something like tar and a USB stick.

--

73,
Ged.