Regarding my situation, here's the short version at this point: I've metadata but no data. I've no idea how it happened, but something obviously did, somewhere in here:

oldhost% zfs send | ssh backuphost zfs recv
backuphost% zfs send | ssh newhost zfs recv
newhost% zfs list -t snapshot | xargs zfs destroy

I was replacing old hardware with new hardware and none of these commands are exact, but get the idea across.

I've no *conclusive* proof, but it seems to me that command #3 above is where things went wrong. BackupPC is not to blame, which is great because I love it and want to keep using it.

Lesson learned: don't destroy snapshots until you've validated your data. Duh.

While these backups ARE valuable (to me alone), fortunately, most of the data CAN be restored but it's going to take a lot more effort than I would like. C'est la vie.