Hello Christian,

If you prefer not to install manually, the BackupPC Wiki has an installer script that works on Debian-based distributions:

https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/wiki/Installing-BackupPC-4-from-tarball-or-git-on-Ubuntu

The script source can also be of use for you to identify where you got stuck when installing manually.

Another option is to build your own packages or download premade ones:

https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/wiki/Build-Your-Own-Packages

Best regards,

Johan Ehnberg