Ah, thanks - adding --super appears to have resolved the problem.  Ran another full of the test system, and backuppcfs now shows correct file ownerships.

I'm still missing --protect-args, --delete-excluded, and --partial from the defaults, so I'll probably also add those after checking the man page to see what they do.  (...and also missing --one-file-system, but that's deliberate.)

For the record, my original settings were:

$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
  '--numeric-ids',
  '--perms',
  '--owner',
  '--group',
  '-D',
  '--links',
  '--hard-links',
  '--times',
  '--block-size=2048',
  '--recursive',
  '--delete'
];

It's not something I would have been likely to modify manually (aside from removing --one-file-system), but I don't recall whether the base settings were migrated from my original test install (which was BPC3) or if Debian chose a different set of default settings than upstream.