On 2023-01-18 00:58, jbk wrote:
 Are you using mod_perl?
It seems from your statements the GUI interface is not complete but
does load. Can you confirm that is the case?

No, plain CGI.

I dug into the configuration and, for the graphs, ended up looking at the BackupPC source code - the graphs code was rewritten in v4 and now checks the user is a "privileged" (i.e. administrative) user, with this check that did not exist in the v3 code: https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/blob/697837fce0fb97155adf2b1c14f400a49ff60366/lib/BackupPC/CGI/View.pm#L57

However, I don't think configuring the hosts should have ever worked for a non-admin user but my install had no admin users (as in "backuppc", the only user listed as admin in config.pl, did not exist at all in the htpasswd file being used to protect the UI, and `$Conf{CgiUserConfigEditEnable} = 0;` was also in config.pl. In short, the more I look at it, the more I wonder how v3 was behaving the way it was in my install. In both cases I am using the packages from Debian stable - v3 was 10/Buster, v4 has been installed by upgrading to 11/Bullseye.

I've solved the problems added a `backuppc` user to the htpasswd and, when I login using that instead of the user that "owns" all the hosts being backed up, I can see the graphs and edit the config again.

It's a shame graphs are hard-coded to only be visible to admins in v4, as a display-only thing (as far as I know it's not possible to change anything through the graphs), I wonder what the rationale is for that?

Thanks for your input,

Laurence