Hi there,

On Fri, 5 May 2023, gregrwm wrote:

i'm curious ...

Me too. :)  I'm replying largely because nobody else did so far, not
because I think I have any brilliant insights or anything.  Sorry.

full backup started for directory /; updating partial #1

This is what I'm curious about.

You seem to be updating a failed backup.  Does that sound right?  If
so, I'd expect to see things that I wouldn't see when creating a fresh
backup.  I don't know what things because I don't remember that I ever
updated a failed backup.  I don't remember running BackupPC_dump from
the command line like you're doing either, I guess I must have in the
distant past but it would only ever have been out of curiosity.  Seems
to me to be a lot safer to let the backup system do what it's supposed
to do by itself.  There's a lot of time and date stuff goes on that I
can't be bothered to think about.

do they mean the backed-up copies were removed?  because they no longer
match the "original" file?

I can't comment, I no longer keep the V3 code lying around.  The message
that's spooking you doesn't seem to be in the V4 code.  I had a quick look
for anything which might resemble the same thing but it was very quick and
I wasn't amazed when I didn't get any results.

if so, umm..!!  heck, isn't that one of the times when backups are sorely
wanted?  when the original flakes or fades and no longer has a valid copy
of the file?

I think you may be misinterpreting message, or jumping to unwarranted
conclusions, or possibly both.  In any case I guess if you only have
one aged backup something like that might be thought of as an issue,
but if you have the two dozen or so I keep it's less of a worry. :)

Have you actually verified that something you're fond of has been lost?

maybe that's a bug fixed in backuppc4?

I think it's too early to talk about bugs, or fixing them.  We need to
establish what's going on in your system first.  Have you actually got
at least one of what you consider to be a *complete* full backup?  And
have you also got a bunch of completed incremental backups?  Have you
any reason to believe that the 'complete' backups are not complete?

My take on it is that you let the backup system run for a while, and
then you exercise it.  Gratuitously recover a file or three at random.
When you need to copy a file, copy it from the backup rather than from
the running filesystem, just for the hell of it, and check it against
the original.  Whenever I've done this I've never had a problem.

Anyway after all that, version 4.0.0alpha of BackupPC was released ten
years ago next month.  V4 offers advantages over V3.  Just sayin'...

--

73,
Ged.