On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 11:31 AM G.W. Haywood wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2023, gregrwm wrote:
> > if so, umm..!!  heck, isn't that one of the times when backups are sorely
> > wanted?  when the original flakes or fades and no longer has a valid copy
> > of the file?
>
> I think you may be misinterpreting message, or jumping to unwarranted
> conclusions, or possibly both...
> Have you actually verified that something you're fond of has been lost?

i see messages at startup that clue me that there's some issues with the
drive, i suspect some sort of media fade.  the "originals" of the files
"removed" are in one of my directories of older versions, so i'm not crying
if they're gone, but certainly disappointed if backuppc hastily deleted its
copies due to "mismatch" with the "originals".

> do they mean the backed-up copies were removed?  because they no longer
> > match the "original" file?
>
> I can't comment, I no longer keep the V3 code lying around.  The message
> that's spooking you doesn't seem to be in the V4 code.  I had a quick look
> for anything which might resemble the same thing but it was very quick and
> I wasn't amazed when I didn't get any results.

that's probably good news, likely the bp4 behavior is better

You seem to be updating a failed backup.  Does that sound right?

yes.  a backup was done ages ago, not sure but maybe even before this
laptop was re-installed on a "new" (used) disc.  recently i made an attempt
or two that were non-starters, and then this seemingly mostly good run.
i'm backing up through a vpn tunnel which is only up when i bring it up,
hence i invoke manually.

Have you actually got
> at least one of what you consider to be a *complete* full backup?  And
> have you also got a bunch of completed incremental backups?  Have you
> any reason to believe that the 'complete' backups are not complete?

so far i've excluded vast swaths of the os to pull the configs i've
modified and data i've created through the vpn tunnel first.  it hasn't run
enough to create any incrementals yet.  next i'll pare the exclusions, and
eventually eliminate them.

version 4.0.0alpha of BackupPC was released ten
> years ago next month.  V4 offers advantages over V3.  Just sayin'...

the production backup workhorse is still ubu bp3 as of yet.  i only
recently emerged from the ubuntu cocoon to tumbleweed, an up to date robust
and stable distribution, bp4 is right in the main repos.