Hi list,

First of all : Bacula is a great piece of Open Source software, thanks a lot for it !

Now, I have a little question, someone could perhaps help me :
I am configuring a new Bacula Backup Server (Linux FC3, bacula 1.36.3, MySQL backend)
with the following design :
- Every Week a Full Backup is done (Pool of 2 volumes, storage on Files)
- Every Day an Incremental One is done (Pool of 12 volumes, storage on Files).
- Retention Volume Period is 13 days
Each Job has its own Pools of Full and Incremental Volumes.

This allow us to save two weeks of data. In fact we only needs one and conserve one
week more in case of problems with the last one.
Now my "problem" is :
The Full Backups are run on Monday, Thursday, Wednesday... depending on the Job (there are a lot of data, as we experienced some very long times saving a great volume of data, we decided to divide the biggest on 7 days), but when I will launch bacula for the first time, all first backups will be Full. There will be no problem with the next Full Backup, but the next one would probably because volumes would be less than
13 days old...

Exple :
Job scheduled as Full on Thursday, Incremental others days.
I start bacula for the first time on Monday => 1 Full Volume is used
On Thursday => Full backup, there is one Full Volume left in Pool => OK
Next Thursday => Full backup, all Volumes are used, the first has only 8 days old
so could not be recycled... => ERROR (???)

At this point, am I right or am I wrong ?

So how could I do to have only 2 Full Backups in my Pool and a retention period of 13 days ? Should I configure first the retention period to 7 days the first time Bacula is launched,
and then change it to 13 days ? Will this be OK ?
Or should I considere using 3 volumes in the Full Pool for beginning and reduce this to
2 in the future ?

I'm not sure I am very clear on describing my problem, I hope I am... :)

Cheers,

Yann