On Wednesday 08 June 2005 14:23, Sebastian Stark wrote:
> Update:
>
> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 11:23, Sebastian Stark wrote:
> > btape scanblocks is able to read the tape up to file ??? (is still
> > running).
>
> After a few hours I get:
>
> Jun  8 14:01:08 yangtse         SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout':
> giving up
> Jun  8 14:01:08 yangtse btape[4277]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] btape: btape
> Error: block.c:782 Read error at file:blk 320:0 on device /dev/rmt/0cbn.
> ERR=I/O error.
>
> The catalog says:
>
> mysql> SELECT DISTINCT VolFiles FROM Media,JobMedia WHERE Media.MediaId =
> JobMedia.MediaId AND Media.VolumeName = '000044';
> +----------+
>
> | VolFiles |
>
> +----------+
>
> |      320 |
>
> +----------+
>
> So the number of files looks correct.
>
> I am pretty sure it's just a few bytes that got corrupted. What can I do
> access my data?

I suspect that you are confused about the difference in how Bacula handles
writing a tape and reading a tape.  It is clear that the tape is damaged and
that Bacula cannot write on it without recycling the tape.  However, it does
not appear you have tried to use Bacula to restore from the tape.

Suggestions:

- If you *really* need some data on the tape, try a restore and see what it
can salvage.

- Simply start using another tape for your appends, possibly redoing any saves
in progress during the power failure (as determined from the catalog).  If
Bacula was writing the tape when the power outage occurred unless you are
very cleaver, it is not going to ever try to read from the Job/Jobs it was
writing.

Kern

  (">
  /\