From: Arno Lehmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 4:29
To: McCann, Brian
Cc: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help understanding how to setup

Hello,

McCann, Brian wrote:

>      Hi all.  Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm having a hard time
> trying to understand what I need to do.  (And it's probably so simple
> I'm going to smack myself in the head when I hear the answer).

Well, keep us informed :-)

> currently use UltraBac to backup about 10 Windows workstations to a
> large file array, and want to do the same with Bacula.  Currently, I
> have a folder per workstation, then a folder per day.
> (BriansDesktop/Monday, BriansDesktop/Tuesday, etc).  The reason for
this
> was because if I wanted to delete one day for whatever reason (space
for
> example), I could easily.  I would like to maintain that schema in
> Bacula, but for the life of me can't get it right.

If you want something similar in bacula, it would be best to re-read the

manual sections dealing with volume retention, and the prune, purge and
delete commands. Most probably, you will need to play around a bit to
see how this all works together.

>      What I've got now is, in the storage daemon, each folder is a
> device.

That part should work, although, for sake of simplicity, only one device

could be preferrable. In my opinion.

>  Then in the director, I've created a storage resource for each
> 'device' in the storage daemon.  Then, in the job, I've defined it
like
> this:
> Now...I THINK my confusion comes into play with the whole Pool/Volume
> thing.  I loosely understand that you have to define a pool and put
> volumes in it, but where the heck do you device a volume?  And
further,
> if you specify a pool for the job to use, why do you need to specify a
> storage device also?  Or, is that just to force that job to use that
> device?

Let's see...

The first important thing to note is that pools and storage are not
necessarily linked together (storage and media type make a firmer link).

So, you can define a pool "Full" and have volumes of all media types and

used withh all storage devices in this pool.

Volumes are put into a pool when you create them or with the update
command.

Now, using bacula you could do the following: (Note that I would do
things differently, so I probably don't notice all the possible
problems...)
- Set up the pools you want, like Monday, Tuesday, etc. These volumes in

these pools will make up the equivalent to the folder for a day's
backup.
- You already have a storage device per client.
- Set up your pools to allow only one job per volume, set retention
periods just below the minimum time you want to keep your volumes. For
example, for weekly rotation you could set the retention times to 6
days.
- Probably set up automatic labeling. This is something I never tried,
but I learned that there are some problems using counters to
automatically create volume names, so make sure you either keep things
simple or you really understand the variables or, probably most useful,
start using the developer version and use a python script.
- The job definition for each client should have the reference to that
client's sorage device, so whatever they back up ends in the directory
assigned to that client.
- The schedule (which could be universal for all clients) should set the

pool to use, for example
Run level=incremental pool=Monday mon at ...
Run level=incremental pool=Tuesday tue at ...

- Try, tune, repeat.

Arno

> Thanks in advance,
> Sitting stumped,
> --Brian

happening
> July 14 at 8am PDT/11am EDT. We invite you to explore the latest in
dual
> core and dual graphics technology at this free one hour event hosted
by HP,
> AMD, and NVIDIA.  To register visit http://www.hp.com/go/dualwebinar

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]