Hello,

This status report will discuss the following five points.

1. Please encourage Landon to implement data encryption by contributing.
2. Bacula Foundation
3. Bacula Funding Idea
4. Bacula 1.38 release status
5. Future Bacula development

1. Please help encourage Landon Fuller implement data encryption by
contributing to EFF.  If you haven't seen the announcement about this, please
visit:  http://www.bacula.org/?page=news  For those of you who have
contributed to this already -- many thanks :-)

2. I've looked into the idea of creating a Bacula Foundation, and if done here
in Switzerland where I live, it will cost about $2000-3000 to create and
$2000-3000 per year for administrative fees (accounting, audit, ...) to run.
At this point, this is not feasible.

I've also thought about including Bacula under a larger Foundation such as
Apache, but Bacula does not yet meet their Incubator requirements.  So for
the near future a Bacula Foundation does not seem possible.

3. Open Source Funding Idea.  I have been mulling over a funding idea for Open
Source projects. If implemented for Bacula it could help pay for some of the
costs: Windows licenses, hardware, Internet connection.  Since beginning this
project 5 1/2 years ago, I have personally "invested" about $40,000 in it.
I'm not complaining about this as it is something I wanted to do and enjoyed
doing. That money is spent and I have never had the least thought of trying
to recover it. However, for the future I feel Bacula is mature enough that it
should start paying its own way.

If you want to read about my idea, please visit:
http://www.bacula.org/OpenSourceFunding.html  Your comments are welcome.
Unless I hear overwhelming complaints about the idea, it is likely I will put
it into effect beginning with version 1.38.  Corporations, please take note.
This affects you the most. By the way, any contribution to Landon's project
will be fully taken in to consideration if my funding idea is implemented.

4. Bacula release status: I grossly underestimated the complexity of
implementing multiple drive autochanger support, so the development version
(currently 1.37.36) is not yet ready. It will most likely be about another
month before it can be released (another week or two of fixes and at least
two weeks of running without any major bugs).  I mentioned this in the beta
release announcement today, but bring it up again as background for the next
item ...

5. Future Bacula development: as I see it, the Bacula project is undergoing a
major change at the moment.

First, more and more features are being contributed rather than being
developed by me. This is very desirable and is a good sign for the future of
Bacula. My thanks go out to everyone who has contributed to this project, be
it by a code submission, preparing a platform release, documentation,
answering a question on the mailing list, ...

In the case of the increasing number of code submissions, it is requiring
quite a bit of adapting on my part: more time spent helping submitters,
looking at their code, integrating it, testing it, documenting it, less time
for me to program ...  This isn't at all a complaint, rather the contrary --
relief that others are helping code. It will be interesting to see where it
leads to and how it gets there.

Second, I'm hearing more and more requests for me to attend meetings and give
presentations. This is something that I will devote more time to next year
beginning in April.

Finally, corporations (as well as users) are asking for more and more
features, some of which are non-trivial to implement, some require expensive
hardware (multiple drive autochanger, ...), all are very worthy, nearly all
should be implemented to bring Bacula into the Enterprise, but not all of
these future projects are personally interesting enough for me to implement
them, and more importantly, I don't currently have the corporate insight to
understand the problems well enough to develop the solutions. This latest
Bacula 1.37 has been one of the most difficult for me because it required a
lot of underlying structural changes, and was non-trivial.

Because of the above points, I've decided to modify how I approach future
projects by personally implementing more smaller features that interest me,
and relying on software contributions to implement larger projects. I don't
expect this to slow down the development pace of Bacula, but it will allow me
to ensure a better code quality than the current system where I am too busy
with large development projects to manage, review, and test contributions.
Bottom line: if you want a major feature, try to help get it implemented by
contributing the code, financing it, finding programmers, ...

This modification may result in smaller more incremental releases containing
only one or two features rather than the larger releases we have seen in the
past -- perhaps something similar to how Linux development has evolved
(purely coincidental).

Kern

  (">
  /\