Hello,

On 14.09.2005 01:47, Glen Davison wrote:
But I don't know what files were on the tapes.  Yes, I suppose I could
work it out by a process of elimination, or semi-reliable guesswork. What I want is reassurance that when bacula purges a tape, it purges the
half-files that overlap onto other good tapes at the same time.

Well, I can't give you that reassurance, and since nobody else answered your mail I think you should take the code and analyze what the purge command you issued actually does.

From personal experience, if you know a little SQL and some C this can be done without too much effort.

Depending on the size of your data, that might give you the right results sooner than bscan or a complete full backup.

But, back to what I suggested first - don't look at the files, look at the Jobs. Using baculas database, you should easily find which jobs were stored on the purged tapes. If you don't find any, there is no information about the files left in the catalog, too. Running dbcheck you can even verify that now orphaned file entries remain in the catalog. If you find job records pointing to purged tapes, or you find jobs record that point to "half jobs" - being at the beginning or end of a volume, and having too small a size, delete those jobs and there should be no half-files left.

Arno

Our scripts query bacula for which files have been archived, and go and
find the ones that have not been to archive anew.

If the half-files are NOT purged from the catalog, our scripts won't
archive them, and we won't know that we have no proper backup copy of
them.

I started playing with bscan, but discovered that it seems to develop
complications around the overlap files too, hence the idea that
re-archiving would be easier.  Not to mention the constant need for
manual intervention for tape changing.

If I am going to have to bscan all the tapes to work out which files are
on which tape, and which overlap, I might as well go back to plan A -
rescan to update the catalog, not bother re-archiving.  But according to
the docs, it looks very fiddly and difficult.

?

Likewise for half files at the start of tapes.

At least it should be clear that purging tapes is not a good idea ;-)

Anyway, instead of re-running your backups you could also scan the tape contents into the catalog - which only works as long as you haven't overwriten any of them.

Arno

Thanks
Glen Davison

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]