On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:46 AM, R.I. Pienaar wrote:
> I understand, but I don't think youre incredibly attacking and bashing
> attitude is going to make anyone eager to actually do the 5 minutes of
> work, so I guess you're left with the 5 hours option.

I was neither attacking nor bashing.  I reported the problem, I asked
about a fix.  This is going to affect a lot more people than me.

> if its a 5 minute job, and since you are so 100% sure of this I asusme
> you've reviewed the code in question, you are fully aware of how to do
> the change etc, so why didn't you send a patch? this is the opensource
> way after all, the people who wrote this app arent employed by you,
> you dont pay them so why are you treating them like underlings and
> talking down at them?

I treated nobody like an underling.  I have patched our local
install, but in the past years I've worked on this Kern has been less
interested in submitted patches and usually makes changes himself.
Also this code was all changed in CVS, so my patches wouldn't apply
anyway.

> Did you review the log file of your director? on mine some mails that
> gets sent due to daemon/console messages also dont have the client
> details, but the entries in the log does.

Yes I did.  And the logs don't contain any more useful information.
There were roughly 12 jobs running at the time, and they all
apparently completed successfully.  So I'm confused.

I believe that improving log messages to be useful without research
is useful for everyone.

> anyway, you obviously dont want help.

What fantasy land are you living in?  I've provided patches, clear
problem reports and constant work on the usability and
documentation.  I *do* want to help.  Unlike most of the people
active on the list, who apparently only reside on the list to issue
personal attacks and nonsense statements like this.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek