On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> I agree that this information should be in the error message, but it's
> also possible for you to add it in. Witness earlier patches mailed to
> this list to print the post-job stats in a more human-readable form. I
> am not a coder, or I'd take it on myself.

I did ask about changes in more recent versions, because CVS showed a
lot of diffs.  I didn't want to spend the time if Kern had already
fixed it.

I've worked with Kern on patches in the past, and Kern has always
taken the patches as "advice" and then done something else.  Which is
totally his right as the main developer.  It's also not uncommon in
open source projects.  So for those projects I just try to provide
useful feedback, unless they request a patch.

For instance, I am working on a revised scheduler because Kern
suggested that it could use some work which I read as "willing to
review patches to improve it".  However, that's a fairly big deal and
I don't expect to have anything useful for a few weeks yet.

> Incidentally, I changed the subject because it was rude and
> condescending. Calling someone else's work USELESS is obnoxious. Error
> messages are insufficient or something with any tact would be
> appreciated in the future.

Sorry you read it that way -- "useless" means "lacking use" which is
factually true.  I know a lot of people who would be insulted by
insufficient because they would interpret that as an attack against
their code and thus personal, but not by useless because it's a
statement of whether it works for me.

It's really impossible to write this for all possible viewers.
Everything I write is meant specific to the situation I am
describing.  Unless I say "the work you've done on this product is
useless" I really don't mean it.  I mean exactly what I said
"messages like these are useless".

I doubt that you're going to understand what I mean, since you seem
fairly intent on misinterpreting everything I say, but if you ever
cool off come back and re-read it.  It's all true.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek