On Wednesday 16 August 2006 00:33, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 22:29, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> >> It's worth noting, that the messages above don't necessarily mean
> >> that the
> >> filesystem mentioned wouln't be backed up at all.
> >>
> >> The message is generated, when a mounted filesystem is met, but the
> >> filesystem may be backed up anyway if it is specifically included
> >> in the
> >> fileset configuration. The message just means, that the mounted
> >> filesystem
> >> isn't backed up as a part of the parent directory's backup.
> >> Personally, I find this a little bit annoying.
>
> On Aug 13, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Well the messages are there to warn the unwarry, but it would be
> > nice if
> > someone would submit the code necessary to do a "forward and
> > backward" look
> > through the filesets to see if the filesystem has been specified
> > directly
> > somewhere else so that the message could be suppressed.
>
> Or how about an option to disable these messages in the Message
> section?  Trust me when I say that we always backup all we care to.
> I never want to see these messages (and have it fact disabled them
> for us by editing the source, which isn't all that portable).

I am not much in favor of an option to disable these messages -- possibly we
could put them into a separate message class, but this is getting to be a bit
overkill, and previous user comments on this list were not too favorable to
that idea.

I have modified the messages to include the directory from which the
filesystem change is not permitted, which gives the user a bit more
information about what is going on.

I think the simplest and best solution is to suppress these messages as I
wrote above if they are in fact backed up somewhere else in the backup.  This
will ensure that the messages are printed only if there is a danger that the
user is missing a partition, but it will also require someone to write some
code (well, any solution will).  If it bothers you enough and you would like
it fixed, you might try coming up with this kind of code.