In anticipation of the holiday weekend (US & Canadian Labo[u]r Day) coming up,
I've got a question about how Bacula will handle recycled volumes.

Our configuration has two pools: Full and Incremental. As it happens, most of
our tapes are currently in the "Incremental" pool[1]. If Bacula needs more
volumes for the Full pool, and the autochanger is loaded with volumes from the
Incremental pool that are past their retention period (they are eligible for
purging and recycling), will Bacula automatically recycle those "Incremental"
volumes into the "Full" pool?

Thanks,

Mark

[1] incremental and differential backups are run nightly, writing to the
"Incremental" pool. Full backups are done monthly. This configuration is less
than a month old, so most clients haven't done a full backup to the "Full" pool
yet. However, when they each did their first incremental, Bacula noted that
there was no preceeding full backup, and ran a full backup, writing to tapes in
the "Incremental" pool. Thus, there are many more tape volumes in the
"Incremental" pool. This will change quickly, as those volumes expire
....assuming that Bacula is smart enough to determine that a client has a full
backup in the Full pool, and uses that as the baseline for future incremental
backups written to a different pool.

Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect, and if Incremental and
Differential backups can only be made against a Full that's stored in the same
pool (in which case, I need to radically change my volume retention).

----
Mark Bergman                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Administrator
Section of Biomedical Image Analysis             215-662-7310
Department of Radiology,           University of Pennsylvania

http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?search=mark.bergman%40.uphs.upenn.edu

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.