Hi,

On 11/1/2006 8:46 PM, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are now in the process of setting up Bacula on a server so that we
> can do some testing.
>
> I am wondering how to use Bacula to backup client systems across a Wan
> that may be on a different subnet (possibly masquraged) and perhaps
> even behind a firewall in some cases.
>
> If I understand what I have read, the Bacula Director signals the
> client system when it is time for a backup, but doesn't this create
> problems when the client system is behind a firewall and Bacula may
> not be able to make contact?

Definitely...

Of course, you have to set up all firewalls between the systems to allow
the necessary traffic.

That means the DIR has to be able to contact the FD and the FD must be
able to contact the SD.

This also means that your SD must be on a public IP, either directly or
by doing some port forwarding.

 From a security point of view, this can cause some problems... I'd
recommend to run an SD dedicated to backups over the internet, and to
use encryption and require a valid certificate on the SD side.

Of course, there's much more detailed information in the manual and,
regarding encryption, you should look therough the list archives as well
- this is still rather new and might require some troubleshooting, I guess.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]