On Wednesday 01 November 2006 13:46, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I am wondering how to use Bacula to backup client systems across a Wan
> that may be on a different subnet (possibly masquraged) and perhaps
> even behind a firewall in some cases.

Adding to the good comments already made by others, I suggest enabling at
least compression, and very soon encryption, for the WAN systems.  Bacula has
both compression and encryption done in the client, so you both spread the
CPU workload and reduce the data transferred across the relatively slow
connection.  YMMV, but as an example we have one system that uncompressed is
in the 18-19 GB range, after compression it only transfers just under 3 GB
across the wire.

I found last night that the combination of encryption and compression is not
working at the moment in CVS, but after reporting it to the list last night
Robert Nelson thinks he has an easy fix, which should be committed very soon.

--

   -- Michael