> Scott, I hope you don't mind but I'm taking this back to the list, I
> really would like as many folks looking at this as possible, and if we
> figure it out the solution should end up in the list archive.
>
> Scott Simpson wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 07 November 2006 11:58 am, you wrote:
> >

> >>All of that is working perfectly with only one exception. When I did the
> >>"psql bacula" the first line in response was
> >>    could not change directory to "/root"
> >>

> >What is the home directory set to for postgres in /etc/passwd? Mine
> >is /var/lib/postgresql (on Ubuntu).
> >.
> >

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# cat /etc/passwd | grep postg
> postgres:x:26:26:PostgreSQL Server:/var/lib/pgsql:/bin/bash
>
> And, since I've seen "/root" pop up in several of the errors:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# cat /etc/passwd | grep root
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
>
> If I try to start the director I get this:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bacula]# ./bacula-ctl-dir start
> Starting the Bacula Director daemon
> 07-Nov 23:52 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
> "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
> 07-Nov 23:52 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: postgresql.c:168 Unable to
> connect to PostgreSQL server.
> Database=bacula User=bacula
> It is probably not running or your password is incorrect.
> 07-Nov 23:52 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
> Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
>
> Note that it's trying to run as bacula. Earlier you suggested I do "psql
> bacula" as user postgresql, but I see here that it's not trying to run
> as user postgresql. So I tried to do that from that account, but "su
> bacula" was disallowed as the user doesn't have shell access:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bacula]# cat /etc/passwd | grep bacula
> bacula:x:100:6:Bacula:/var/bacula:/sbin/nologin
>
> However, switching the bacula shell from /sbin/nologin to /bin/bash (the
> same as user postgresql) did not change the behavior, so I restored it
> to how the RPMs created it. it did allow me to do the "psql bacula"
> wtihout error, but the director still failed with exactly the same message.
>
> In bacula-dir.conf is the declaration
>     dbname = bacula; user = bacula; password = ""
> I used the PostgreSQL admin section of Webmin to set a password for the
> user and entered it in bacula-dir.conf, but there was no change in behavior.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Firstly, note that PostgreSQL user names are not the same as Linux login names
(both have to set up independently).  Confusion arises because the psql
command uses the current Linux login name as the PostgreSQL user name by
default.

Do any of these commands works?

psql -U bacula -d bacula
psql -U bacula -d bacula --password
psql -U postgresql -d bacula
psql -U postgresql -d bacula --password

One of these should produce the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

If you get this, what do these commands print?

\dt
\dp
\du
select * from version;