On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 06:27, Dan Langille wrote:

> > The flaw of BSD licenses for me is that someone can take my (or Kerns)
> > work, repackage it as their own or modify it and not contribute the
> > modifications back to the developer/user community
>
> This is not a flaw.  It is a feature.  If you don't want to share in
> that way, don't use the BSD style of license.  Many people adpot a
> BSD license because that is exactly what they want to happen.
>
> To call it a flaw is inaccurate. From the licensee's point of view, a
> flaw to one, is a feature to another.

Also, from a user's perspective it is great to have a choice
between free source (which doesn't go away just because
someone builds a commercial package) and a product with
additional features which can then include components that
are under different licenses and can never be added to
a GPL'd package.  I don't see how anyone is hurt by this
new alternative unless the free version is so bad that no
one continues to maintain it - in which case it wouldn't be
much of a loss.   There is also a fair chance that the
commercial project will contribute code back since that
tends to be easier than merging patches with every release.

--
  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]