On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 13:40 -0800, Brad Peterson wrote:
> >> Aaah, I've finally figured it out.  The very common Linksys WRT54G
> v5
> >> router IS dropping inactive sockets after exactly 10 minutes.
>
> >Set heartbeat intervals to 1 minute.
>
> >Problem solved (and is why this directive is there)
>
> I already have the heartbeats in at 30 seconds each.  Unfortunately,
> according to the manual, the heartbeats helps the file daemon talk to
> the director, the file daemon talk to the storage daemon, and the
> storage daemon talk to the file daemon.
>
> What would help me is a heartbeat to keep the socket between the
> director and storage daemon alive.
>
> For now, I'm giving up on having an offsite storage daemon.  I don't
> have the money to spend on a fully working router.  So I'm going to
> just keep the storage daemon on the same machine as the director, and
> then rsync the physical volumes afterwards offsite.

Though this is better solution that what you originally wanted (rsync is
going to be more robust and faster over your WAN link than bacula would
be), you could either flash your v5 (even if you brick it, you can
easily un-brick it) or simply pick up any number of the
dd-wrt/openwrt/etc. compatible routers for cheap. A new Buffalo WHR-54GS
usually goes for < $40, and sometimes <$30 and is far better than v5. I
can't imagine that $40 is out of your budget. DD-WRT will allow you to
set TCP timeouts upto one hour and probably actually understands
keepalive.

Besides, I don't think it a wise use of developer time fixing a problem
for what amounts to cheap consumable (and totally fixable) consumer
grade hardware. I rather they focus on features like the GUI, handling
extremely large backup sets and improving the core functionality.