On 21 Feb 2007 at 12:48, Chris Sarginson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> What I am looking to find out is to check if Bacula will allow me to
> restore an older version of a file that has been backed up.
>
> IE Client accidently modifies a file and then fails to notice that it
> has caused them problems until after the next backup has taken place.

Issue the restore command, pick option 6:

*restore

First you select one or more JobIds that contain files
to be restored. You will be presented several methods
of specifying the JobIds. Then you will be allowed to
select which files from those JobIds are to be restored.

To select the JobIds, you have the following choices:
     1: List last 20 Jobs run
     2: List Jobs where a given File is saved
     3: Enter list of comma separated JobIds to select
     4: Enter SQL list command
     5: Select the most recent backup for a client
     6: Select backup for a client before a specified time
     7: Enter a list of files to restore
     8: Enter a list of files to restore before a specified time
     9: Find the JobIds of the most recent backup for a client
    10: Find the JobIds for a backup for a client before a specified
time
    11: Enter a list of directories to restore for found JobIds
    12: Cancel
Select item:  (1-12):

That should be what you want.

> Would it be possible for me to find the previous version of the file
> that we had backed up?  FYI our backups are done as follows
>
> 1) Full Backup every Sunday, incremental every other day
> 2) Each client has its own pool that all data is backed up to
> 3) Volumes are protected for 7 days.
>
> If this is not possible, does anyone have a potential workaround, as
> this is somewhat of a show stopper.

Bacula takes care of all of the above when using this option.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php