On February 24, 2007 6:41 PM Dan Langille wrote:

> On 24 Feb 2007 at 17:58, Rex Wheeler wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if bacula keeps track of tape soft errors? (Soft
errors
> > being correctable errors that were corrected by the tape drive
> > hardware.)
>
> Bacula does not keep track of this.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the response.

> > I took a look at the bacula table structure and there is a VolErrors
> > column in the Media table. I glanced at the source code and it seems
the
> > column is related to higher level problems then tape soft errors.
> >
> > Does anyone know what kind of errors that the "VolErrors" column
totals?

> See http://www.bacula.org/developers/Catalog_Services.html
>
> Number of errors during Job

I saw that page; I was actually wondering if there was a more formal
definition of what an "error" was. Specifically, are error counts here
considered related to the media (the media's fault) or errors that just
happened to occur to a backup job while the media was mounted?

> You might want to look at how I test tapes (when I get second hand
> tapes).
>
>    http://www.freebsddiary.org/tape-testing.php
>
> Of note is the script that pulls back corrected errors per GB.  That
> is at:
>
>    http://www.freebsddiary.org/samples/dlt
>
> The script is FreeBSD specific, but I know one person who has taken
> it and converted it for use by another OS.  Each OS may have its own
> method for querying the hardware.

It looks like your script uses a utility called "camcontrol" to send
SCSI commands. I poked around and found that the sg_logs utility (from
the sg3-utils package) can provide similar statistics on linux with
something like "sg_logs -a /dev/st0". Before I hack this out, has anyone
here already converted this script or have a test utility to determine
tape soft error rate?

Thanks,

Rex