Brian Debelius wrote:
> Sorry that I can't help develop.  But I can help drum up interest.  Go
> digg it, and (try to) drive it to the front page.
> http://digg.com/software/Popular_mature_open_source_backup_project_needs_developers_www_bacula_org
>
> brian-
>
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Open Source is a fantastic success story, and shows every sign of becoming a
>> gigantic snow ball over the next few years.  Usage of Bacula is increasing
>> significantly, which is very pleasing.  However, the development side of
>> Bacula, with one or two exceptions, I consider a total failure.

ok, I contributed my infinitesimal weight to the digg.

However, I would also like to make a comment.

I hear an element of discouragement in Kern's message. I can certainly
empathize with that as well as understand it, but it isn't going to draw
programmers in. It emanates too much negativity.

If someone could draw up a PR piece (qua "job announcement") with an
upbeat feeling to it, give it a prominent place on the bacula site, and
then start blogging or digging that link, it might have a better
likelihood of attracting some programmers. I'm not sure, however, of the
dynamics of becoming involved. It seems to me that the motivation for
contributing code comes from an involvement in using the software. If
you don't get paid for the work, why would you jump into it unless it
was something that mattered to you in the first place? You want
something fixed, or added, and you are capable of programming, so you do
it and contribute the code. Eventually, your dependence on the product
and your pride in having contributed to it combine to form a commitment
that leads to greater involvement. So, it might be a sort of cart and
horse question.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator