Hello,
 I'm running postfix 2.4.1 on FreeBSD, with the option
strict_rfc821_envelopes set to yes in my main.cf. I set up Bacula on this
box as well, v2.03. When i had strict_rfc821_envelopes set to yes I kept
getting the error "fatal malformed reply from localhost" and an error 501
from postfix in my bacula log. If i change the strict_rfc821_envelopes
option to no it works fine. I'd rather not change this option, does anyone
have a workaround? The specific error i'm seeing in the log is:

25-May 16:26 zeus-dir: message.c:481 Mail prog: bsmtp: bsmtp.c:92 Fatal
malformed reply from localhost: 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax

and the message resource looks like this:

Messages {
  Name = Standard
#
# NOTE! If you send to two email or more email addresses, you will need
#  to replace the %r in the from field (-f part) with a single valid
#  email address in both the mailcommand and the operatorcommand.
#
  mailcommand = "/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f
\"\([EMAIL PROTECTED]) %r\" -s \"Bacula: %t %e of %c %l\" %r"
  operatorcommand = "/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f
\"\([EMAIL PROTECTED]) %r\" -s \"Bacula: Intervention needed for
%j\" %r"
  mail = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = all, !skipped
  operator = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = mount
  console = all, !skipped, !saved
#
# WARNING! the following will create a file that you must cycle from
#          time to time as it will grow indefinitely. However, it will
#          also keep all your messages if they scroll off the console.
#
  append = "/var/db/bacula/log" = all, !skipped
}

Messages {
  Name = Daemon
  mailcommand = "/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f
\"\([EMAIL PROTECTED]) %r\" -s \"Bacula daemon message\" %r"
  mail = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = all, !skipped
  console = all, !skipped, !saved
  append = "/var/db/bacula/log" = all, !skipped
}

Thanks.
Dave.