Hi,

On 6/8/2007 3:10 AM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
... recycling volumes...

>> You've got
>> "Use Volume Once = <yes|no>
>>      This directive if set to yes specifies that each volume is to be
>> used only once. This is most useful when the Media is a file and you
>> want a new file for each backup that is done. The default is no (i.e.
>> use volume any number of times). This directive will most likely be
>> phased out (deprecated), so you are recommended to use Maximum Volume
>> Jobs = 1 instead."
>>
>> Set which effectively disables volume recycling. Remove that directive,
>> reload the configuration, update the existing volumes from the pool
>> resource, , and see what happens...
>
> I would disagree with that. As far as I know, Use Volume Once has been
> removed for some time. However, the replacement (Maximum Volume Jobs =
> 1) I use on my system to cause volumes to be marked used after one use.
>
> However, this does not affect recycling in my situation.

I somehow had the impression that the deprecated directive also prvented
recycling, but admittedly, I never tried it.

The recommended options clearly separate number of jobs and recycling
settings, THAT I know because I use it :-)

> I would suggest the original poster may have forgotten to update volumes
>  (having created the volume before the current pool directives were in
> place).

Quite possible...

> Chantal, I'd want to see at a minimum an llist on the volume in
> question, just to verify that at the very least the parameters have made
> it to the volume in the first place.
>
> In addition: keep in mind that the volume may very well not show
> recycled right after the retention time is up. There are some actions
> that will cause the volume recycling algorithm to be run through -- one
> would be attempting a backup against the volume, and I believe 'status
> dir' might be another. Not sure of specifics. Bacula does not, however,
> throw away the contents of the volume right away on its own -- it
> attempts to keep the data as long as possible.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]