On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>        I've never used a Linux bacula rescue CD at this point i don't need
> to do any bare metal recoveries of the linux box i have. I do however have a
> need for FreeBSD bare metal recovery. I've got a few questions.
>    First of all, has anyone done this or got far with it? What i was
> planning was to use the section of the freebsd handbook as a guide, make a
> custom boot media, compile bacula-fd statically along with my system's
> partition information, boot and see if i can do it. I realize this is rough,
> but my goal is to get the FreeBSD bare-metal recovery as comprehensive as
> the Linux procedure. To that end i'd like to know how linux rescue goes, i
> imagine you boot, then run programs like fdisk and format and recreate your
> system, then use bacula-fd to load file and boot information? If anyone who
> has done this could give me an overview conceptually i'd appreciate it.

Dave:

Would the FreeSBIE <http://www.freesbie.org/> CD be used to you?  It is a
live-cd, based on FreeBSD.  They provide *all* the tools for you to roll
your own live-cd.  I know there is a FreeSBIE-based live-cd for HAM radio
operators: <http://www.bfst.de/hamfreesbie/>

Based on what they've done, and my own experience using FreeSBIE for
rescue-like situations, I think it's worth a look.  For example, I've
booted from FreesBIE to copy an existing HDD to a new RAID cluster.

cheers