I have been running Bacula with VXA-1 drives for a couple of years now and was
recently charged with the task of setting it up on a new machine running SLES
10 and using an Exabyte 1x10 autochanger. I followed Maria McKinley's recent
thread on Exabyte autochangers and found it helpful (I had to download and
install mtx), but I am still troubled.

My configuration files are syntactically correct, as all three daemons load,
but Bacula is not seeing the changer. It is likely that I have defined
something wrongly. Here are the pertinent parts of the sd and dir configuration
files:

bacula-sd.conf:

# Autochanger resource
Autochanger {
  Name = "Autochanger"
  Device = VXA3
  Changer Device = /dev/sg0
  Changer Command = "/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %qa %d"
}

# Internal VXA-3 Drive
#

Device {
  Name = VXA3
  Autochanger = yes
  Changer Device = /dev/sg0
  Changer Command = "/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %qa %d"
  Media Type = VXA-3
  Archive Device = /dev/st0
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
}

*********************************

bacula-dir.conf:

# Definition of Autochanger
Storage {
  Name = VXA
  Autochanger = yes
  Address = bacula-test        # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "madison"
  Device = VXA3                # must be same as Device in Storage daemon
  Media Type = VXA-3           # must be same as MediaType in Storage daemon
}

*********************************

>From bconsole, status sd reveals the following:

Automaticaaly selected Storage: VXA
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA at bacula-test:9103

bacula-sd Version: 2.0.3 (06 March 2007) i686-pc-linux-gnu suse 10.1
Damon started 09-Jul-07 09:12, 0 Jobs run since started.
 Heap: bytes=15,890 max_bytes=113,028 bufs=70 max_bufs=72
.
.
.
Device status:
Autochager "Autochanger" with devices:
     "VXA3" (/dev/st0) is not open.
Device "FileStorage" (/tmp) is not open.
Device "VXA3" (/dev/st0) is not open.
       Drive 0 status unknown.
.
.
.

If I run the command './mtx-changer /dev/sg0 load 1 /dev/st0 0' at the command
line, I get this:

mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

>From within bconsole, the 'label barcodes' command yields this:

Automatically selected Catalog: MyCatalog
Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
Automatically selected Storage: VXA
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA at bacula-test:9103 ...
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA at bacula-test:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "VXA3" has 0 slots.
No slots in changer to scan.

It appears that my system is currently unaware of the existence of the
autochanger as such. I know I'm missing something, but I just don't know where
to look.
--

Tks n rgds,
Richard White CNE6, Linux+