On 15 Aug 2007 at 10:41, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to backup large amounts of data via network to a tape.
> When I read the data from a hard drive in the machine directly
> connected to the tape drive I get about 50 mb/s which is ok
> considering the read speed of the drive.
>
> Now i backup some files over the network without spooling and get
> about 300 kb/s. If I activate spooling I get 700 kb/s. (Yesterday I
> got 4 MB/s but this is still ridiculously low...) Isn't the storage
> daemon supposed to wait until all the data is on the hard drive and
> then start writing to the tape? This doesn't to be the case at all. A
> spool file is created but also the writing to the tape starts at the
> same time so writing speed still is very low.
>
> Any idea what might be my mistake?

Yes.  You didn't send us your configuration files.  ;) But let me
guess at the problem.

Does the following grep help?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~] $ grep -i spool /usr/local/etc/bacula-dir.conf
  Spool Data  = yes
  Spool Attributes = yes
  Spool Data  = Yes
        File = /home/bacula/spooling
        File = /home/bacula/spooling
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~] $ grep -i spool /usr/local/etc/bacula-sd.conf
  Spool Directory         = /home/bacula/spooling
  Maximum Spool Size      = 11759496889
  Maximum Job Spool Size  = 11759496889    # 10GB
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~] $

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php