The reality is that if you really need reliable data for 10 years you're
probably stuck with technology like paper, optical media (choose wisely
as many of these formats are gone too), or online hard drive space that
you'll be continually checking and carrying along with each upgrade (and
backing up with all your regular fulls).  All have their own major
drawbacks.  The benefit to online hard drive space is that new data
needs grow so fast that in many cases it's not that much more expensive
to keep the old stuff around--for instance... 20 years ago 100GB of data
was not available in one storage system.  10 years ago it was a lot but
quite pricey.  Now it's about the smallest hard drive you can buy new.

The odds that you can locate a working tape drive of any current (2007
hardware) type and adapters to plug it into 10 years from now (2017
hardware) aren't good the way things are moving.  Not only will you have
to worry about hardware--is PCI still going to go the way of the ISA bus
by then?--but drivers for old adapters on the OS after the next OS are
quite possibly going to be a problem--there's tons of useless adapters
out there now where manufacturers went out of business before updating
their NT 4.0 drivers to work with XP, Server 2000, and Server 2003, so
even if you save both the tape drive and the adapter who's to say the
adapter will have a spot to plug it in and a driver you can load.

With regard to 30 years I can almost guarantee problems with just about
any electronic removable media.  While it's true that you can probably
find a 9-track mainframe style tape reader to read 30 year old data
tapes on many current computer systems, the market does not seem to be
maintaining that trend for the current storage stuff--things are moving
just too fast.  That's been driven by IBM's mainframe dominance over the
last 30 years--corporations have been migrating off IBM mainframe
hardware right and left in favor of hardware from companies that may or
may not still be in existence 10 years from now.

In summary... backup software is extremely important for disaster
recovery but should not be considered for long term (5+ years, possibly
even less depending on what you need it for) storage needs in my humble
opinion.