Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to use Bacula to backup my files to disk AND to tape at the same
> time. The backup on disk should be available for 3 months or so while
> the backup on tape should not be overwritten before 12 months.
>
> Is this possible with Bacula? How do I accomplish this without the need
> to run the backup job twice?

I've been wrestling with this one myself.  In my case, my primary backup
is a NAS device that's NFS mounted.  I've got my fulls, differentials,
and incrementals each going into their own pool/directory on the NAS.  I
already plan to migrate last month's backups off the NAS onto tape for
long-term storage.  However, I'd also like to make a copy of this
month's full backups onto a tape to take off-site.  (Then I sync the
incrementals to a portable hard drive and get the whole ball of yarn in
a single duffle bag, and the portable drive doesn't have to have the
full capacity of the NAS.)

I've tried bcopy and failed.

I've tried just tarring the disk volumes, but it's hard to predict the
end of tape and get efficient tape usage.

So, I think I'm going to do some recursive baculating.  (Is that a
word?  :-)  I think I'm going to set up a job in bacula that will back
up the full files to tape in another pool.

Here's my thinking: if my NAS takes a total header, I'll need to restore
from tape onto disk, and then from disk to the client machines.  But if
it's that much of a DR situation, I can live with that.  Since pulling
from tape onto disk is really only a first step, I don't need to bscan
the tape...I can just brute force bextract it onto my shiny new NAS or
whatever I'm using to be my new disk store.

If anyone sees any nasty flaws in my logic there, please let me know.
I'll try to share when I figure out whether it'll really work or not.

Something else that just occurred to me that I might do at some point is
to build a VMware image with a linux or Solaris build (I'm in a Solaris
shop, but linux might be more universally useful) with a bacula install
set up and running.  Burn that image onto a DVD along with VMware
player, and in a true DR situation I could set up a virtual Bacula
server on just about any laptop or PC I could lay hands on to start my
recoveries (assuming I had access to my backup media from it).  But
that's a bit further off for me.