Hello,

23.10.2007 09:25,, Michael Lang wrote::
> Hi everyone,
>
> i have a question regarding 'Automatic Volume Labeling', a short
> explanation of what i'm trying to do ...
>
> i'm responsible for a small company, the backup is done to external
> disks. There are different Pools writing
> the Backup to specific disks labeling them with a syntax like:
>
> Label Format            =
> "Pool-Weekly-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}-${NumVols:+1:p/4/0/r}"
>
> which if no use able media exists is labeled on the device like
> 'Pool-Weekly-2007-10-23-0001'. So far so good,
> but this only happens once, means the 'Maximum Volume Bytes' is set to
> 2048000000 (2GB) to ensure, it doesn't
> matter where the external Disk is attached, the files are readable.
> If a Backup Job requires more than one Media, the first get's labeled
> and for every new Media required during the
> Backup Job, Bacula asks the Operator to label a new Media.
>
> My only solution for this right now is to estimate how much space the
> Backup will use, and label the Volumes
> before the Job runs, but as you can imagine thats annoying ...

Yes.

> is there anything i'm missing that this happens ?
> thanks for any hint ...

I'd first suggest to drop the "LabelFormat" directive. It's deprecated
and will vanish some day.

Instead, use a python event to provide names for new volumes.

This is described in the manual, for example
http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Python_Scripting.html#SECTION003560000000000000000

After trying this it would be time for a more detailed problem report
(if the problem persist), preferrably including the version of Bacula
you're running...

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann