On Friday 09 November 2007 00:59, Mike Seda wrote:
> Hi All,
> I wish to save space on my tapes by changing backup levels in my
> "Monthly" Schedule resource.
>
> My current "Monthly" Schedule resource is:
> Schedule {
>   Name = "Monthly"
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st fri at 23:05
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th fri at 23:05
>   Run = Level=Differential Pool=Weekly sat-thu at 23:05
> }
>
> I wish to change the aforementioned resource to:
> Schedule {
>   Name = "Monthly"
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st fri at 23:05
>   Run = Level=Differential Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th fri at 23:05
>   Run = Level=Incremental Pool=Daily sat-thu at 23:05
> }
>
> Btw, with my proposed changes to the backup levels, I plan to use the
> following Volume Retention times while having "Recycle = yes" and
> "AutoPrune = yes" :
> Monthly = 372 days
> Weekly = 37 days
> Daily = 14 days
>
> Do the proposed Schedule and Volume Retention times seem reasonable? I
> added 7 days to each time as a fudge-factor. Any critiques and/or advice
> is welcome.
>
> Also, I have read that Bacula will not backup files that have a ctime
> less than the last backup (of any level, i.e. Full, Differential,
> Incremental). Is that still true with Bacula 2.0.1?

That is true for Differential and Incremental jobs, but not for Full.

> If so, is there anyway to circumvent this?

No other than touching the files or doing a Full backup.   If it is critical
data, you could probably do some tricks with Verify jobs which can detect
these changes, but I don't quite see how.

> Basically, will changing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
> and 5th Friday backups from Full to Differentials put my data at more of
> a risk if my users perform moves and untars?

Depending on the dates on the files that are moved or detared, they may not be
backed up by a Differential backup.

I'll let others respond to the other questions.