On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> I only use label barcodes when I insert new tapes. I just don't have
> any new ones now..

Ok.

> My procedure is
> 1) Use a query command to determine which tapes in my archive are
> full. Of that I select which ones I want to remove.
> 2) Then I go to the changer and remove the tapes and insert new ones.
> 3) Wait 5 minutes till the changer does inventory.
> 4) Then I run update slots
> 5) Then I run label barcodes to the scratch pool

Instead of 5, you can use the add command at any point. When Bacula
encounters new, blank tapes, it will generate an error message, then label
them automatically.

> At this point bacula loads only the new tapes, creates labels for them
> in the catalog that match what is on the barcodes and puts them
> scratch pool.

The main difference with the add command is that the tapes exist in the
database and in whichever pool you defined them in, however there's no
extra handling incurred loading and labelling them until they're actually
needed.