Dirk H. Schulz schrieb:
> The more I look into it, the more it gets weird.
>
> Gavin McCullagh schrieb:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
>>
>> 8-Jan 08:11 bacula-dir JobId 33: Fatal error: Unable to authenticate with
>> File daemon at "external-fd.domain.de:9102". Possible causes:
>> Passwords or names not the same or
>> Maximum Concurrent Jobs exceeded on the FD or
>> FD networking messed up (restart daemon).
>> Please see
>> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Bacula_Freque_Asked_Questi.html#SECTION003760000000000000000
>>
>> for help.
>> 28-Jan 08:11 bacula-dir JobId 33: Fatal error: Network error with FD
>> during Backup: ERR=Unterbrechung während des Betriebssystemaufrufs
>> 28-Jan 08:11 bacula-dir JobId 33: Fatal error: No Job status returned
>> from FD.
>> 28-Jan 08:11 bacula-dir JobId 33: Error: Bacula bacula-dir 3.0.3
>> (18Oct09): 28-J
>>
> I have even tried without any passwords, I have copied and pasted the
> client name everywhere to make sure there is no typo in there.
>
> And then - just from pure desperation - I started bacula-fd manually
> instead of via launchd (with the same parameters launchd is given) - and
> now it works!
>
> Somehow communication does not work correctly if bacula-fd is started
> via launchd (/sbin/bacula-fd -f -c /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf).
>
> Anyone seen that before? Any workaround for that? It is MacOS X Client
> 10.5.5 Intel (uname -a outputs "Darwin external-fd.domain.de 9.5.0
> Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep  3 11:29:43 PDT 2008;
> root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386").

Okay, after cooling down again I started searching.

In the original bacula plist file for launchd from bacula sources there
is this entry:
>     <key>Sockets</key>
>     <dict>
>         <key>Listeners</key>
>         <array>
>             <dict>
>                 <key>SockServiceName</key>
>                 <string>bacula-fd</string>
>             </dict>
>         </array>
>     </dict>
That tells launchd to realize an on demand run like inetd does in
historical unixes. I did not find anything in Apple's documentation on
why this should prevent communication from bacula-fd outside to
bacula-sd, but it does.
Without this entry (and with added KeepAlive and RunAtLoad entries) it
works fine.

Is that something the developers should have a look at? I am unsure
whether to file a bug report or not. Maybe there is sense in this I do
not see.

Dirk