Dirk,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Dirk H. Schulz
<dirk.sch...@kinzesberg.de> wrote:
>> And then - just from pure desperation - I started bacula-fd manually
>> instead of via launchd (with the same parameters launchd is given) - and
>> now it works!
>>
>> Somehow communication does not work correctly if bacula-fd is started
>> via launchd (/sbin/bacula-fd -f -c /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf).
>>
>> Anyone seen that before? Any workaround for that? It is MacOS X Client
>> 10.5.5 Intel (uname -a outputs "Darwin external-fd.domain.de 9.5.0
>> Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep  3 11:29:43 PDT 2008;
>> root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386").
>>

> Okay, after cooling down again I started searching.
>
> In the original bacula plist file for launchd from bacula sources there
> is this entry:
>>     <key>Sockets</key>
>>     <dict>
>>         <key>Listeners</key>
>>         <array>
>>             <dict>
>>                 <key>SockServiceName</key>
>>                 <string>bacula-fd</string>
>>             </dict>
>>         </array>
>>     </dict>
> That tells launchd to realize an on demand run like inetd does in
> historical unixes. I did not find anything in Apple's documentation on
> why this should prevent communication from bacula-fd outside to
> bacula-sd, but it does.
> Without this entry (and with added KeepAlive and RunAtLoad entries) it
> works fine.

I've been using a simpler plist file for bacula backups of a couple of
OS X systems for a few years, without any issue.  The plist file is
simple:

sh-3.2# more /Library/LaunchDaemons/bacula-fd.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>org.bacula.bacula-fd</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/usr/local/sbin/bacula-fd</string>
                <string>-f</string>
                <string>-c</string>
                <string>/usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf</string>
        </array>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
        <key>UserName</key>
        <string>root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The bacula-fd stays running all the time, but that seems to be the
standard setup, rather than having it started when needed via the
launchd equivalent of xinetd.

chris