For batch insert by default on mysql, it could be or not, depending on several
factors
is mysql pthread safe or not, and configure option choose during building time.

The mysql 4 is obsolete now with 5.0.3 (I think there's some good reasons for
that)

Transforming table to innodb is quite simple, but depend how much and how are
the indexes on tables.
Innodb doesn't like varchar indexes > 254.

So if you don't have any blockers, you will have to upgrade your mysql to
something more recent, so perhaps moving to postgresql
is a perfect alternative, just in time.
For performances even with batch-inserted, I'm remembering a graph that Eric B
have show during prototyping db last year at
pgdays.eu ( perharps the slides are always there )

Eric ? any suggestions if you read that.

Anyway, I'm not using Solaris, so it would be nice to have some advice from
experimented people on that plateform.