On 10/13/10 11:21, Hugo Letemplier wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an important question that will help me validating some specs
> about bacula 5.0.2
> Imagine the following scenario:
> 1 - a full
> 2 - an incremental
> 3 - an incremental
> 4 - another incremental
>
> if I delete the incremental of step 3, does it move the files that
> have been added during step "3" onto the incremental of step "4"
>
> I have tried this scenario but my result is not clear. Can you tell me
> your experience ?
>
> In other words: can I delete one Incremental without deleting more
> recents incrementals or if I delete the full does it upgrade the first
> incremental into full ?

Aaah.  The "other words" make more sense.  :)

You can delete any incremental job without affecting any other
incremental.  Doing so will lose the record of changes backed up in that
incremental, though, as an incremental records only changes since the
most recent backup of *any* level.  So in your scenario above, if you
delete incremental #3, then your next incremental #5 will back up only
files changed since incremental #4; it will *not* re-backup the changes
previously backed up as incremental #3.

(For this reason among others, it is generally recommended to make
periodic differential backups, which record all changes since the last
Full backup, to reduce the number of incrementals needed for a restore.
 As an example, I perform Full backups once a month, Differential once a
week, and Incremental every other night.)

If you delete a Full backup, it will not upgrade any *existing* backup.
 However, if you delete *the most recent* Full backup, which has current
Incrementals or Differentials based upon it, then the *next* Incremental
or Differential that you run will be upgraded to Full.

  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.