Hello Jeremy & all, thanks much for your reply.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:27:07PM +0200, Jeremy Maes wrote:

> >    Pool Type = Backup
> >    Recycle = yes
> >    AutoPrune = yes
> >    Volume Retention = 14 days
> >    Volume Use Duration = 6 days
> >    Recycle  Oldest Volume = yes
> >    Maximum Volumes = 3
> >    Label Format ="Full-"
> > }
> >
> Here you specify 3 volumes max, probably to make sure your incrementals
> are still useful? (something you forgot to do for the incrementals
> themselves I think)
>
> Why the 6 day use duration though? You say you want to do all full
> backups on the same day. Do the backups take multiple days to complete?
> > But I'm unsure about the "use duration". Is there a better way to
> > implement the above requirements?

I was hoping that when the 7th day in the cycle comes around with a
new full backup being due, bacula would note the max use duration and
create a new volume automatically (if max volumes isn't yet reached)
or recycle the oldest one, keeping two older full backups on the other
volumes.

the backups themselves are rather smallish (the biggest is around
160G) and complete within a couple of hours after being started.

Is there a more elegant way to keep two older volumes in the pool
without making use of "max use duration"?

All the best,

Uwe

--
NIONEX ist ein Unternehmen der DirectGroup Germany www.directgroupgermany.de