Hi folks,

as you may remember I've recently set up a brand new bacula server
with version 5.0.3 compiled from source. I copied over the mysql
settings (mysql-server-5.1.52-1.el6_0.1.x86_64) from the
old machine and inquired here for optimized mysql settings to use with
the setup (backup size & volume is the same as it was on the old
server which had less ram, cpu and diskspace).

However, when I try to run a restore job from a decent-sized full
backup, it takes forever to build the directory tree where on the old
machine this has been quite a speedy process.

I've checked the faq and the indices for the file table:

mysql> show indexes from File ;
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name |
Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null | Index_type |
Comment |
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| File  |          0 | PRIMARY  |            1 | FileId      | A
|   154262958 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId    |            1 | JobId       | A
|        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            1 | JobId       | A
|        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            2 | PathId      | A
|        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            3 | FilenameId  | A
|        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+

(sorry for the long lines) which look ok to me, so I was wondering
what could cause this huge difference in restore run times before I
get to the file marking part of the restore process.

This operation:
"Building directory tree for JobId(s) 759 ...
1,629 files inserted into the tree."

took over three minutes where I seem to recall it being much faster on
the old setup.

I used the standard create_bacula_tables script that comes with 5.0.3
to set up the database. The major difference seems to be moving from a
CentOS 5.6 to a 6.1 environment (both were 64bits, btw). Bacula DB
size is 26GB (MyISAM tables).

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG