On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 05:41:14PM +0200, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as you may remember I've recently set up a brand new bacula server
> with version 5.0.3 compiled from source. I copied over the mysql
> settings (mysql-server-5.1.52-1.el6_0.1.x86_64) from the
> old machine and inquired here for optimized mysql settings to use with
> the setup (backup size & volume is the same as it was on the old
> server which had less ram, cpu and diskspace).
>
> However, when I try to run a restore job from a decent-sized full
> backup, it takes forever to build the directory tree where on the old
> machine this has been quite a speedy process.
>
> I've checked the faq and the indices for the file table:
>
> mysql> show indexes from File ;
> +-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
> | Table | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name |
> Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null | Index_type |
> Comment |
> +-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
> | File  |          0 | PRIMARY  |            1 | FileId      | A
> |   154262958 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
> | File  |          1 | JobId    |            1 | JobId       | A
> |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
> | File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            1 | JobId       | A
> |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
> | File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            2 | PathId      | A
> |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
> | File  |          1 | JobId_2  |            3 | FilenameId  | A
> |        NULL |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
> +-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
>
> (sorry for the long lines) which look ok to me, so I was wondering
> what could cause this huge difference in restore run times before I
> get to the file marking part of the restore process.
>
> This operation:
> "Building directory tree for JobId(s) 759 ...
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 1,629 files inserted into the tree."
>
> took over three minutes where I seem to recall it being much faster on
> the old setup.
>
> I used the standard create_bacula_tables script that comes with 5.0.3
> to set up the database. The major difference seems to be moving from a
> CentOS 5.6 to a 6.1 environment (both were 64bits, btw). Bacula DB
> size is 26GB (MyISAM tables).

Hi folks,

I've turned on the slow query log and it's come up with the following
result (dirtree build for an incremental job that contains 41 files):

http://pastebin.com/rNDivjHg

when I quit the restore function and immediately try the same job
restore, the tree builds instantly, so I guess it's a mysql
problem. I've tried running mysqltuner and have increased the key
buffer size, however the total index size is 10G where the server only
has 6GB RAM ;-) Anything else I could try to speed up the dirtree
generation?

All the best & thanks in advance,

Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG