2013/4/6 Alberto Caporro <a.capo...@consulthink.it>

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have an update on this; last night the backup job ran again, this time
> as an incremental one. The job terminated successfully, but backup size
> again doesn't make sense, being roughly 88G (see log at the end of the
> mail).
>

> Hi,

That is because you are using data encryption. Sparse files FileSet option
does not work with data encryption. It seem that it is due to this code
from src/filed/backup.c from your Bacula 5.2.6 version:

  if (ff_pkt->flags & FO_ENCRYPT) {
      if ((ff_pkt->flags & FO_SPARSE) || (ff_pkt->flags & FO_OFFSETS)) {
         Jmsg0(jcr, M_FATAL, 0, _("Encrypting sparse or offset data not
supported.\n"));
         goto err;
      }

If you disable data encryption for this one then your backup will be have
proper data size.

I see that you have at least two options:

1. Send message to mailing list about lacking text in documentation about
sparse files in software encryption chapter and vice versa.
2. Ask Bacula developers if it is possible to improve encryption
functionality for sparse files.

Regards.
Marcin "gani" Haba