Hello,

2013/4/8 Alberto Caporro <a.capo...@consulthink.it>

> I was on the point of making the same exact remark.
>
> There's for sure a minor information leak (knowing the actual size of a
> sparse file),

It is not about a file size. All file metadata are unencrypted and simply
available on the Bacula volume, so you can get it directly from volume or
catalog.

> but I fail to understand how an attacker could possibly take advantage of
> that, in the (IMHO) highly unlikely event that she is able to steal your
> backup tapes and make sense of what they contain.

It is about "Known plaintext attack".

I could be wrong about it and Bacula encryption could not be susceptible to
this kind of attacks.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski