On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 03:32:01PM -1000, Romeo Theriault wrote:
> Hi Uwe, thanks for the response. I'm not sure how many directors we'll
> have. Was going to start with one and go from there. How many do you have
> for your 110 client setup? It's good to hear you're fairly happy with the
> separate d/p/v for each client scheme.
>
> Initially we'll be backing up about 8TB nightly on incremental's and about
> 30TB on a full.
>
> Any tips you might have in terms of # of directors or catalogs or media
> servers we should start with would be appreciated. Otherwise It'll be a
> trial and error for me. :)

Hi Romeo,

we run a total of four directors for about 200 clients, but this is
due to the fact we host servers in separate locations so it makes
sense to back them up locally.

The largest installation has about 120 clients and runs just fine,
backing up about 1 TB daily and around 6TB over the weekend over
gigabit links to HP MSA boxes connected to the director /sd which
sustain around 120MB/sec write speed on average (using client side
compression, both gzip and lzo where necessary).

You seem to expect a rather large daily backup volume though so I
guess if anything you might be bandwith- rather than cpu bound. What
kind of network connectivity will you be using, that throughput can be
achieved on the backup disks and so on? These are all important
factors in designing your infrastructure.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA