Zitat von Hans Thueminger <bac...@ipf.tuwien.ac.at>:

> Dear Bacula Users!
>
> After another two months of testing I'm able to make an update:
>
> Hans Thueminger wrote, On 20.11.2013 16:58:
>> Dear Bacula Users!
>>
>> I'm a newbie and have been trying to configure a Bacula backup
>> solution for our Institute for two months. I'm excited of this
>> Software (thanks to the developers for that great work) and I
>> absolutely want to use it :-) At the moment, unfortunately I can't
>> use it as I would like.
>>
> At the moment it looks very good :-)
>

>> We have to backup a Fileserver (Windows-Server-2012, Bacula client
>> 5.2.10) with 400TB of Data with an Autochanger (IBM-TS3500) with
>> two Drives (TS1140). We operate a dedicated Backupserver (CentOS
>> 6.4) with Bacula (5.2.13) which is connectetd with a dedicated 1
>> GBit Interface to the Fileserver. The two drives of the autochanger
>> are directly connected to a QLogic QLE2562 Dual Port Fibre Channel
>> HBA (on the backupserver). To be ensured, the drives are operated
>> in streaming mode, the backupserver has a 35TB spool area. There
>> are several filesystems connected to the fileserver:
>> 3x120TB
>> 4x40TB
>>
> As Andreas (lst_ho...@kwsoft.de) suggested, we made some hardware
> changes of the Backupserver. Now for each Drive is a dedicated 1 TB
> Spooldrive (two SSDs RAID 0) available .
>

>> The first thing we have to do is to split the 3x120TB in 6x60TB
>> since Microsoft does not support VSS for filesystems >(64TB-8GB)
>> not even with the latest release (Server-2012-R2). This is a not
>> documented "design" and we got this information from the Microsoft
>> support team. To re-emphasize this, in Windows-Server-2012 it's not
>> a problem to create and use a filesystem >64TB but it's not
>> possible to make a backup of any file of any size in such a
>> filesystem; not even with the in the operating system included
>> Windows-Server-Backup program :-(
> With the trick to use a mount point, instead of a drive letter, it's
> no problem to start a backup of the 3x120TB Filesystems (the mount
> point is located on a smaller disk drive and with this disk drive
> the VSS is not a problem). Of course there is no snapshot created
> from the open files of the mounted filesystem. But better a backup
> with some missing files instead of no backup!
>

>> Now I'm glad to make backups and restores of files of our 4x40TB
>> Filesystems with Bacula if they are not too big (< 5TB). That works
>> fine. If they are too big (> 15TB) I always get an error after
>> creating the second or third or sometimes subsequent spoolfile
>> (Error: lib/bsock.c...). Never for the first spoolfile! I've tried
>> several spool sizes (from 500GB to 16TB) and different network
>> settings. As attachment (bacula_mailing_list_some_error_logs.txt)
>> you can find some logs, when the error occurred. What I have also
>> tried:
>> - using different Networkinterfaces (at the moment an ethernet
> [...]

It would be interesting to hear what speed you get for despooling to
tape with the TS1140 Drives? Maybe you should get a 10GB path between
your server and the backup server, but biggest "problem" is that
Windows support for concurrent jobs isn't that great, so your spooling
stops as long as your despooling to tape :-(

But fine that you finally got it running, the long lasting, data heavy
TCP connections used by Bacula reveal problems in corners where you
don't expect it anymore (NIC/Switches/Packet-Filters).

Regards

Andreas