On 10/12/2016 11:15 PM, Thing wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone done this?  I have a small 3 node 1TB gluster setup I'd
> like to make up to an external USB3 disk using bacula so I can take
> the disk offsite.   What I dont want to do however is impact the
> gluster performance if I can so I am wondering how best to get the
> data off and onto the external USB3 disk.
> Can I do this directly?  ie have a fd on one gluster node? it seems
> awfully hard to find anyone how has done this and if there would be
> problems.

Yes. You can mount the gluster on the host running bacula-sd, (where the
USB3 drive is attached), and backup directly.

> Or alternatively, I am wondering maybe stream the data off gluster to
> a "new' disk in the bacula server via nfs with rsync and then have
> bacula back that "new" disk up to the external USB3 disk?

Either way, the entire gluster, of necessity, must be read, so
performance will be impacted. The pre-copy is not necessary. Bacula has
built-in spooling to disk that can be enabled. The spooling essentially
does the same stream-to-disk, but via Bacula's client-server socket i/o,
rather than NFS. Whether or not spooling would be helpful is hard to
say. It depends on many things, including network throughput, USB3 drive
sequential write performance, etc.

Bacula-users mailing list