On 9/21/2017 11:22 AM, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
That's useful and makes perfect sense, thank you.
I'm new to both Bacula and LTO.
Just inherited Bacula 5.2 with LTO-4 and considering an upgrade.

LTO-4 doesn't support LTFS.
So I haven't found a way of examining / browsing what actually Bacula writes to the tapes.
I can only see things like labels and byte counts from bconsole.
The LTO drive doesn't appear in mtab and I haven't found a way of interacting with the tape drive and tapes outside Bacula.

Tapes do not have a file system, so are not mounted like a disk partition (other than through LTFS). Data is read / written directly to the SCSI device, likely /dev/nst0. The mt utility can be used to interact with tapes. It is possible to dd data between the tape and a file. Neither will understand the tape formatting, possible decompression, or possible encryption. The tape and label formats are documented in the Bacula documentation, but basically you must have Bacula to properly read the tapes and extract any useful data from them.