Bill, this seems very likely related to the issue you are seeing when the volume is not in-changer. The re-attempt of the mount in mount.c should probably not be happening at 1 second intervals, or if it is, then it should not log every attempt. Also, at some point it should be pausing the job and waiting on operator intervention. So this definitely looks like a bug in 9.0.4.

On 10/4/2017 6:54 PM, Jim Richardson wrote:
Bill,

Thank you for your response.  The command output you asked for is 183MB, it is the
message from below about 7 times a second every second from 10:21:30 10/2/2017 until we
caught it and canceled the job at 22:30:05 10/02/2017.  I attached a file with the
heading and ending information.  The primary problem is that the job is waiting on media
intervention, but does not produce an email for the warning.  With the write protect on,
it is just like the tape is never there.  All jobs queue, and we end up with a huge mess.
 If we get a message, then we can remove the tape, remove the write protect, and then
wait for all the jobs to finish.  I would expect that the Read-Only volume warning from
mount.c would be at a severity level to produce the same media intervention email message
as "operator = al...@somewhere.com = mount".

Let me know if that additional context helps with another solution.

Jim Richardson
CISSP CISA

SecurIT360

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Arlofski [mailto:waa-bac...@revpol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:42 AM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Not Receiving Messages for Read-Only file system

On 10/04/2017 09:35 AM, Jim Richardson wrote:
All,

We are using Bacula 9.0.4.  We accidentally placed a tape in our
library with the write-protect on.  The following message was written
in bconsole, but we didn’t receive notifications.

02-Oct 22:30 bacula-sd JobId 2801: Warning: mount.c:210 Open of Tape
device "ULT3580" (/dev/nst0) Volume "000005L7" failed:
ERR=tape_dev.c:170 Unable to open device "ULT3580" (/dev/nst0):
ERR=Read-only file system

Below are all of our messages directives.  Thank you in advance.
Hi Jim,

The job summary should have some non-zero number of "SD Errors:", and the Termination
status should (probably) be "Backup OK -- with warnings"

Take a look with:

* llist joblog jobid=2801

Since it is only some "minor" issue during the backup, Bacula does not fail the
job, it just logs the issue, and moves on.

Because Bacula will set the JobStatus in the catalog the same as a "Backup OK"
job (JobStatus=T), there is no way to trigger warnings by simply querying the catalog for
JobStatus=W (for example), so I have all backup jobs send the emails to my helpdesk,
which is configured to look for "Backup OK -- with warnings"  and flag those
jobs as 'bad' which need to be investigated.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
http://www.revpol.com/bacula

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank you.