On 15/12/17 15:07, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
On my server I see tapes staying in the "Used" status long after their
retention has expired.

Correct. Retention is the _minimum_ period before the tape can be marked for reuse

Only when Bacula needs a tape *and* it cannot find one with status
"Append" or "Recycle" it will select one in state "Full" or "Used" and
recycle it.

Also correct - and if you have a recycle pool, only if that is empty too.

{purge]

> However I already tried that and it didn't help.
It reported that all jobs had been purged from the tape but still did
not recycle it.

After a tape is purged Bacula won't recycle it until the next time it checks the drive (assuming it's waiting for a tape).

You can speed things up by telling it to mount the drive that it's waiting for (use slot 0).