> On Apr 1, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Sebastian Suchanek <bac...@suchanek.de> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> while still setting up Bacula (v5.2.6), I've come accross a rather
> strange issue with my tape library (an Overland NEO2000) with a
> LTO4-FC-Drive. When I do "fill" test with btape over multiple tapes,
> everything works fine. Also, for example, when I do a "label barcodes"
> command in btape over multiple slots, the individual tapes are moved
> into the drive, get written and are put back into their original slot.
>
> But when I run a "real" backup job which spans more than one tape, the
> job gets stuck as soon as the end of the first tape is reached. The last
> messages from the job are:
>
> | [...]
> | 2018-04-01 14:16:42         tigersclaw-sd JobId 111: Volume "SU4103L4"
> previously written, moving to end of data.
> | 2018-04-01 15:55:32         tigersclaw-sd JobId 111: End of Volume
> "SU4103L4"
> at 21:2548 on device "LTO4-Drive-1" (/dev/nst0). Write of 2000000 bytes
> got -1.
>
> And after that, nothing happens anymore. Not even if I wait for half an
> hour.
>
> Here's the (hopefully) relevant part of my bacula-sd.conf:

[snip]

> Any idea what exactly is going wrong here? What can I do to track down
> the reason for this error? What can I do to fix it?

It is usually permissions. It it nearly always permission.

I have documented my experiences here: https://dan.langille.org/

Search for mtx and mtx-loader.  There are several configuration step and low
level testing at the command line.

This might be your best bet:
https://dan.langille.org/2016/02/04/dell-tl4000-tape-library-running-btape-and-configuring-baculas-mtx-changer/

start slow.  Make sure mtx-changer works. If you need to customize it, move it
away from /etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer ... I put mine at /usr/local/sbin
well away from the installed one.

Make sure all the steps with mtx-changer work: load, unload, loaded, list

Then make sure they work as the bacula user (your SD should be running as
bacula, not root; there is no need for bacula-sd to run as root).

To get mtx-changer working, first make sure mtx works.

Try what I tried and make sure it all works.

HTH

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
d...@langille.org